Wednesday 13 May 2015

Back on track

As my left hand is healing nicely, I can now focus again on my scale modeling projects. In this post I am showing the progress on the Harley Davidson custom chopper project. As you know already, this is going to be scratch built, with only the rubber tires taken from a Revell 1:12 motorcycle kit.

As the central piece of any chopper is the engine, the first thing I want to clear from the table is making the engine parts. Luckily, one of my friend has just build a Prusa 3D printer and he was kind enough to do a test print for me. Since we're both beginners in this area, we tried to print the engine as one part. Unfortunately the results are not satisfactory, mainly due to parts orientation. So for the next test print we will take each part and print them separately. There are 8 main printable parts on the motor.




Below pictures show the first printed motor.






Eventually, the cylinder heads will be printed using a commercial printing service, as it would require a different technology like SLS to achieve the right quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment