Wednesday 13 May 2015

A little distraction from motorcycle modelling

As I mentioned briefly in my previous post, I have fancied entering the scale model trains hobby. I am trying to resist the temptation as it will detract me from the current projects, but as a scale modeler, building a locomotive from scratch is an irresistible challenge. I am looking into non-running, HO scale trains.

After searching the web for some locomotive plans I found an excellent 3D model of LBSC Ayesha II. It was modeled in 61 mm gauge, while I am looking to build it in 16.5 mm gauge (HO scale). I know that the real locomotive only existed as a garden train (used in fun train parks in UK), but due to 3D plans availability, it is an ideal beginner's project.



As I normally do, I started with the 3D design in Inventor. The scale model will be a static one, without motors or working boiler. The challenge of the design process is that you cannot simply scale each part down to HO scale, but need to redesign each relevant part from scratch, in order to adapt it to the manufacturing tools I have available (mainly Sherline lathe and mill).

I spent two days to get to the current stage you see below. Pretty good progress if you ask me.






This is a non-committing project for me, as I will only work on it as time permits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment