Saturday 11 October 2014

Brake disks for the Yamaha Roadstar project

I spent most of the past month designing a custom rear view mirror for my real motorcycle. Unfortunately I realized that the parts would be too big for the footprint of my Sherline mill so I put that project aside.

Now I am back to the Yamaha Roadstar project bike I introduced on the last post. Last evening I have started to turn the brake disks. Unlike the real bike, which has two front disks, mine will have only one upfront and one on the rear and it should look like this.




It has 25 mm in diameter (the same as the part in the kit) and 0.5 mm thickness (the kit part has 0.8 mm but looks too thick to me). It will be turned in 6061 aluminum. As you see, the patterns require drilling a lot of holes of various diameters. I am trying to make both disks at the same time and then just cut each one, like a slice of bread :) Might not work though as the tiniest holes are only 0.5 mm and cannot go deep enough (around 2 mm).

Below the stock aluminum bar reduced to 25 mm on the mill. All there is left is to drill the cooling holes, a lot of them...


No comments:

Post a Comment