Wednesday 16 April 2014

An introduction to the current project

The main project I am working currently is to design and build a 1/12 scale custom chopper motorcycle. I intend to build almost all the parts, with few exceptions being the tires, which are taken from a Revell motorcycle kit. The engine and gearbox will probably be 3D printed as is too intricate and complex to use conventional methods like milling. The 3D printed part will be used as a master pattern and they will be cast in resin. All the other parts will be made in metal, mainly brass and aluminum.

I have started this project approximately one year ago, working slowly on the design. Since it's an ambitious and complex project, I decided I will do the design in a CAD tool first and only then start building the physical parts. So I started learning various CAD tools and designing the bike in parallel. Actually the bike was the main motivator to learn the CAD tools as they are quite complex and have had no previous training in this domain.

Here are some photos of the current design







No comments:

Post a Comment